Taiwan Visas

The visa process for Taiwan can be quite complicated due to the nature of the political environment. Visas are obtained through Taipei Economic and Cultural Offices in your country, not through embassies or consulates. There are many loopholes, but esljobproject.com recommends obtaining a Legal Working Visa and Alien Resident Certificate (ARC).

What you need

To legally teach in Taiwan, you will need to obtain a Work Permit and Alien Resident Certificate (ARC).

How to get it

Most teachers arrive in Taiwan and then subsequently begin the Visa process. It is possible to obtain the proper visa, work permit and ARC before you arrive, but most teachers and schools prefer to complete the process once the teacher is in Taiwan.

A quick reference of steps.

Step 1: Find an employer or setup interviews upon your arrival. This can be done by posting your resume on esljobproject.com and browsing the jobs section and applying by email or phone.

Step 2: In your home country, find the nearest Taipei Economic and Cultural Office and apply for a Visitor Visa (60 day multiple or single entry is fine). The process takes from 1-3 days.

Document checklist: (a) Completed Visa application form (b) Passport with 6 months validity (c) Proof of flight in and out of Taiwan (d) Four passport size photos (e) Bank statement (f) Processing fee (cash only)

Step 3: Enter Taiwan and find a teaching position. Once you have completed contract negotiations you can begin the visa process.

Things to bring: (a) Degree or 2 year college diploma (b) TESOL/TEFL certificates (c) Resume and cover letters

Step 4: Apply for a work permit. This will probably be taken care of by your employer. You may be asked to fill out forms, submit documents such as degrees, certificates, resumes, 5-10 passport size photos or to visit government offices with your passport.

Step 5: Apply for an Alien Resident Certificate. After receiving your employment approval letter, your work permit, which will be issued by the government authority for employment in the ROC, you need to apply for your Resident Visa at a Ministry Of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) branch. You will then be permitted to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC.) If you have been issued a Resident Visa, you must apply for an ARC at the nearest city or county police headquarters. Your employer should also assist you in doing this.

Documents Required: (a) Application form (Form V-I) (b) Employment Approval letter issued by the government authority for your employment in the ROC (c) Your original passport and a photocopy of it. Your passport will contain your resident Visa and will be returned after verification. (d) Marriage certificate, if applicable (Must be authorized by by a notary public and legalized by the ROC Consulate or functional equivalent) (e) Two recent passport size photos (2” photographs color or b&w) (f) Birth certificates of expatriate’s children, if applicable (must show the name of the parents and be notarized and legalized) (g) All ARC applicants must have a health-check/AIDS. (You must have the health check at a govenment approved hospital.)

Note: The visa processing time could take from 1-2 months. Your Visitor Visa is valid for 1-2 months. As long as you can prove the working visa is processing, you can extend your tourist visa at the local police headquarters until the process is complete. However, in some cases, teachers may have to leave Taiwan to extend their visas. Most teachers in these circumstances, go to Hong Kong or Thailand and return with a new Visitor Visa. Usually, if this is necessary, the school will assist in paying for the costs of the trip. The ARC is valid for 12 months and may be renewed for up to 3 years.

IMPORTANT: This is a guideline ONLY. It is very important to coordinate the visa process with your employer and the Taiwanese Economic Trade Office in your country.

Date Article Created: 10.27.2005

Teaching Abroad
Featured Jobs
No featured jobs found.
ESL Job Project
Job Alerts